This will be a tutorial on how to set up macros for the most current CSK protocols.
Activity level: 0-3 days of light exercise and office job
First step is to get your TDEE:
1. Enter all fields into the calculator.
2. Use 3 days minimum for exercise. If you do more than 3 days enter the appropriate amount of days.
3. Hit calculate.
4. Use the MAINTENANCE number. Yes to lose weight. Keto does not require a deficit to lose weight.
Now figure out macros for the day:
Carbs are always 20g TOTAL. Not Net. Fibre is a carb and has an insulin response. The goal is to limit insulin so fibre cannot be discounted.
1. Protein should be 0.83g per Kilogram of ideal weight as per the WHO.
2. To get ideal weight use the below chart:
To determine frame size:
Wrap your thumb and middle finger around the smallest part of your wrist. If they overlap, you are small framed. If they touch, you are medium framed. If you can barely get them to touch or they are not touching, you have a large frame.
3. Use the upper number of the range. Convert pounds to KG by dividing by 2.2
Ideal weight for this example is 127-141 lbs. Using the upper range it is 141 lbs.
4. Multiply 64kg by 0.83 to get protein allotment:
64kg x 0.83g = 53.12g of protein is your required amount. Round up or down to an even number for simplicity sake. The small amount of grams will not make a difference overall. Say 55g protein will be your allotment.
Finally get your fat requirement:
1. Fat should make up the rest of the calories.
2. Add up calories from carbs and protein:
There are 4 calories per gram of carbohydrate or protein and 9 calories per gram of fat.
20g of carbs = 80 calories
55g of protein = 220 calories
Total = 300 calories
3. Determine fat calories
Fat calories = TDEE – (Carb calories + Protein Calories)
TDEE(2138 calories) – (Carb Calories(80) + Protein Calories(220)) = Fat Calories (1838 calories)
4. Determine fat grams
Divide fat calories by 9 to get grams of fat. (fat has 9 calories per gram)
1838/9=204g of fat. Round down to 200g or up to 205g for simplicity. The 5g will not make any meaningful difference.
As per this example TDEE would be:
20g of carbs
55g of protein
200g of fat
Figure out macros per meal:
Macro timing is very important for optimal weight management. Now you can certainly just divide them all by 3 and get results. I am not saying you can’t. For optimal weight management it matters.
We are most insulin sensitive and ready to absorb nutrient in the morning. You can read all about this in the following articles.
Considering all of this breakfast should be the biggest protein/carb allotment for the day and the lowest in fat.
Using the example above:
10g total carbs (16% of calories)
30g protein (48% of calories)
10g fat (36% of calories)
5g total carbs (2% of calories)
15g protein (6% of calories)
100g fat (92% of calories)
5g carbs (2% of calories)
10g protein (5% of calories)
90g fat (93% of calories)
If you are having trouble getting that much fat in at the later meals you can do 1 of a few of things:
1: Have a pure fat snack in between meals.
- Make sure to only have fat 3 hours after breakfast to allow insulin to clear.
2. Increase fat at breakfast slightly but keep below 55% of calories for the meal.
3. Just split your fat up between the 3 meals equally.
- If the whole low fat thing is just too hard then don’t sacrifice good in the pursuit of perfection. You can still get great results just splitting the fat equally among the 3 meals.
Ideas for low fat breakfast foods may include the following:
– 1% or less cottage cheese
– 0% greek yogurt
– lean turkey or chicken breast
– egg whites (save yolks for later in the day)
– lean seafoods
That should give you a good foundation of how to setup your CSK macros. As always if you have any questions, ask in the group. We will be happy to help you.
If you want to get your Ketogenic Diet back to a place of Common Sense and learn how to heal your metabolism you can get personalized coaching from Coach Jack.
Check the details here: